The Arrowhead project addresses pilot domain specific innovation critical technology issues necessary for innovation and market impacts, but not technically crucial for addressing the interoperability challenge. Some of these elements concern communication and technologies for the development of low-energy and low-cost systems.
The communication layer of the network is an important part to make the Arrowhead vision come through, and it is important that Arrowhead can benefit from the constant development of communication domain. The communication layer, as part of interoperability of secured, efficient and low power systems, is essential to some of Arrowheads pilot domains that have very specific communication issues. The following issues are addressed within the project:
- Capacity to establish secured and interoperable communication: to take into accounts security aspects of communication and to develop stable data communication level in industrial environments
- Capacity to communicate from enclosed locations: to allow communication to/from devices located in metallic enclosures hindering standard radio communication
- Capacity to combine multiple communication systems: to evolve pre-existing communication technologies as needed for the pilots and study the means to facilitate their integration.
Beyond service-oriented architecting and efficient communication, evolutions of technologies for the development of secured, low-energy and low-cost systems are crucial to strengthen the business case of pilots and make the Arrowhead vision cost-effective. To allow such evolutions, the work is focused on technologies for developing physical devices and systems with both low-cost and low-energy consumption, and covers the following issues:
- Energy management of self-sufficient smart service devices: to tackle energy harvesting, energy storage and energy control/management in challenging environments
- Energy management of networked devices: use orchestration approaches together with distributed control techniques to provide power energy management capabilities and consumption optimization at system level
- Methodology, tools and technology for cost effective architecture implementation: to develop methodology, software tools, and technology able to reduce the time-to-market phase for advanced heterogeneous systems-on-chip